Proiect finanțat în cadrul Programului Operațional Regional și co-finanțat de Uniunea Europeană prin Fondul European pentru Dezvoltare Regională

gheorgheni

Lăzarea

View image

Lăzarea (in Hungarian Gyergyószárhegy) is a commune in Harghita county, Romania. To this commune belongs Ghiduţ. It is situated northwards, 5 km from Gheorgheni, in the south part of the Szármány mountain. Its name comes probably from the Szár mountain.

Brief History

Its territory has been inhabited since ancient times. Westwards from the castle were found vestiges of an inhabited settlement from the Bronz Age to the Early Middle Ages. The history of the commune interwines with the history of the Lázár family. The castle has been built during several phases, between 1450 and 1532. 1631 the castle was widened with the constructio of bastions and defensive walls, it was built up to a magnificient renaissance mansion. It became one of the most important military-magisterial centres of Székely land. Here spent a period of his childhood years Bethlen Gábor, prince of Transylvania. Here defeated the székely troops led by him the Tatars and the Moldovans on the 6th of september 1658. The dead were buried under the Tatárdomb. The commemorative tablet, set in 1908, reminds of this event. 1665 Lázár István gave a piece of land for the Franciscan friars, where it was built a chapel for them. 1669 Kájoni János (here was buried in 1687), from Şumuleu, ordered to be built a new building, which was burned to ashes in 1707 and in 1748, it could be finished only in 1752. 1707 Acton imperial general ordered to set fire on the fortified castle, after which remained a single undamaged bastion. It was rebuilt by Lázár Ferenc. 1748 it was burned again, but it was rebuilt, finally in 1842 it was definitely ravaged by a fire. On the 22th of may 1872 the friary was burned to ashes again, but it was reconstructed. 1910 among its 4753 inhabitants 4420 were Hungarian, 155 were Romanian, 139 were German. Until the Peace Treaty of Trianon it belonged to the district of Gheorgheni. 1992 together with Ghiduţ, it had 3625 Hungarian inhabitants, 49 Romanian inhabitants and 48 Gypsy inhabitants.

Tourist attraction

* The reconstruction of the Lazar castle has beginned. Since 1974 there has been organised creative camps.
* The Roman Catholic Church, which was built around 1235 in Romanesque style, in the 15th century it has been rebuilt; its tower was built in 1488. 1590 it was ravaged by a fire, as the Calvinists got hold if it they burned up its altars. 1729 it was demolished, except the sanctuary and the tower, and rebuilt. 1930 it was widened and the tower was upswept. * The Szent Antal chapel from the 15th century was rebuilt by the Ballo family from Băţan in 1700.
* The Franciscan friary and church in the Szarmany mountain was built between 1669 and 1752. The Head of the friary between 1669 and 1674 was Kájoni János, whose monument can be seen in the wall of the friary.